2.5.3 is the current version of Joomla at the time of this writing. And as I wrote about last week, this latest version contains two important security fixes. Still, the small version badges (icons) showing supported Joomla versions are plastered across the Joomla Extensions Directory and developer's web sites.
The bad thing about showing these badges is that they give an impression that Joomla 1.6 and 1.7 are still supported versions. They are not. None of those versions are updated anymore, and they should not be used on any site.
But what about security updates, then? That's easy: Use version 2.5.3 (and later). That's the path to follow.
Here are some interesting Joomla blog posts I found during week 11:
• St. Patrick's Day Sale: Save 25% on all Memberships now through March 19th
• Duplicate Template Fix for Joomla 2.5
• A 5 Year Affair with the Dutch Joomladays
• Joomla 2.5.3 released and Quickstart packages updated
• Using Twitter Bootstrap to Create a Responsive Web Design (RWD) for Joomla
• Urgent security update available - Joomla 2.5.3
• JCal Pro 3 - the calender for Joomla 2.5 - with custom fields and event registration is now available
The Joomla Project has just announced the immediate availability of Joomla 2.5.3. This is a security release and you should upgrade your site immediately.
All versions of +Joomla! 1.6, 1.7 and 2.5 are affected.
The update process is very simple, and complete instructions are available here. You can easily update your site from 2.5.x to this latest version using the update function in the Joomla administrator.
Here are some interesting Joomla blog posts I found during week 10:
• Thanks to all who gave back at the Joomla Pizza, Bugs and Fun
• Joomla Roadmap Meeting: Production Working Groups & Lightning Talks
• SoftPraise 2.5 update with new features and now mobile responsive
• Release candidates are ready !
• A sticky nav for your Joomla template
• Zen Grid Framework Responsive Menu options
• A more social bamboo plus 2 Dribbble invites
• Agora Pro for Joomla 2.5 now available for just 99 cents!
• Joomla in the plain numbers
• Introducing Elegance Mobile Joomla! template & your chance to win a Free License!
• No Upgrades? You'll Scare Your Users Away
• Why Your Clients Need a Mobile Joomla Site and How to Sell it To Them
• Meet Paul Orwig: An Interview with the New OSM President
K2 version 2.5.5 was released on March 7th 2012. I you don't already know, K2 is a Content Creation Kit for Joomla.
In this release you will get improved search in Joomla 2.5, integration with anti-spam services, native support for jUpgrade, support for the built-in updater in Joomla 1.7 and later, and much more.
J and Beyond, an International Joomla® Conference in May 18th - 20th, 2012, Bad Nauheim, Germany is coming and the deadline for submitting proposals for sessions is on 1st April.
J and Beyond, an International Joomla! Conference, is back for the third year. For 3 days in May (18th -20th) Joomla! developers and site builders from over 30 countries will gather in Bad Nauheim, near Frankfurt, right in the heart of Europe.
The Joomla Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Joomla 2.5.2. This is a security release. The Production Leadership Team's goal is to continue to provide regular, frequent updates to the Joomla community.
The update process is very simple, and complete instructions are available here. Note that there are now easier and better ways of updating than FTPing the files.
Here are some interesting Joomla blog posts I found during week 9:
• Beware the Black Hat template developer
• Volunteers for Community Channels Workgroup wanted
• Joomla! 2.5 template updates Joomla
• RokSprocket & March Joomla Template Release
• The template is dead, long live the template
• Another responsive Joomla template into the mix
• Subscription plan changes for JCal Pro calendar and Agora bulletin board
• Joomla days 2012
• The JoomlaShine templates latest features and improvements
Here are some interesting Joomla blog posts I found during week 8:
• K2 v2.5.5 coming out next week - now supported by 52 language translation teams!
• An open letter to the new OSM president
• Show / Hide a field in RSForm! Pro
• Forms for Joomla 2.5, v0.6.1 Released
• JoomlaPraise is now part of the 'corePHP' family!
• Last chance to save 40 percent on jcal pro and sh404sef
• Google Analytics integration with JoomlaShine templates for Joomla newbies
Open Source Matters announced yesterday that Paul Orwig was elected president of the non-profit organization that owns Joomla!®. Paul is known to many as the editor-in-chief of the Joomla Community Magazine.
He did the closing keynote at J and Beyond 2011 and is passionate about the Joomla project.
Today, Ryan Ozimek published an open letter to Paul, sharing some of his insights from his two years as OSM president.
Here are some interesting Joomla blog posts I found during week 6:
• Talking to my computer
• A tale of a hacked Joomla site
• Customer downloads area currently offline
• CloudApp, Share Screenshots with ease
• Help! My Joomla Site Was Hacked!
• If you are NOT running Joomla 2.5.1 or 1.7.5 read this!
• Forms For Joomla 2.5 Special Offer
• Excellent SEO plugins for Joomla website - Detailed Guideline
• K2Joom and Jiliko.net Partnership