The publishing house Addison-Wesley Professional today announced the launch of two forthcoming Joomla books.
The Official Joomla! Book and Joomla! Explained: Your Step-by-Step Guide. Both titles are designed for end-users and administrators utilizing Joomla – the free, open source content management system – to develop a web presence.
Written by Joomla experts, the books provide a useful, well-written, and engaging platform for all segments of the Joomla community, from beginners to more advanced developers. Pearson made the announcement to coincide with Joomla Day USA West 2010 being held on the eBay/PayPal North campus in San Jose, Calif. today through Sunday, Oct. 3.
The first book is written by Jennifer Marriott and Elin Waring. Both well-known Joomla! experts with many years of experience in both deploying Joomla sites and from contributing to the project.
Users of Joomla already have access to tremendous support and learning through the thriving Joomla community. However, for those who want a deeper dive through book and multimedia form factors, these titles will serve as a known brand for users whether they are building up or refining their Joomla skill-set”
Sales funding the Joomla! project
Ryan Ozimek, President of Open Source Matters, says:
These books are a win-win for the Joomla community: They will provide a new avenue for people to become part of, and contribute to, Joomla – helping to refine its power and simplicity. And at the same time proceeds from the books, available at bookstores around the world and through increasingly popular eBook readers, will help support the Joomla project’s explosive growth.
The books will be the flagship releases in a new Joomla Press, representing a publishing alliance between Pearson, the global leader in education services and technology, and Open Source Matters, Inc. (OSM), the not-for-profit organization that supports the Joomla project. Titles in the series will be authored by the leading experts and contributors in the global Joomla community.
Debra Williams Cauley, editor of the new Joomla series, shares:
Users of Joomla already have access to tremendous support and learning through the thriving Joomla community. However, for those who want a deeper dive through book and multimedia form factors, these titles will serve as a known brand for users whether they are building up or refining their Joomla skill-set.
The raw facts
- The Official Joomla! Book, scheduled to be published in December, 2010, provides readers with a basic understanding of how Joomla works “under the hood,” and will help prepare readers to take advantage of the power available at more advanced levels.
- Joomla! Explained: Your Step-by-Step Guide, publishing in early 2011, demonstrates the essentials of Joomla through easy, step-by-step practical examples.
- A portion of the book proceeds will go back to the Joomla project.
- Both books will be available in Safari Books Online, a leading on-demand digital library subscription service. Customers will be able to easily search contents and highlight text, among other functions.
- Titles will be available in all major eBook formats, including Adobe PDF, Amazon Kindle, and ePub.
The Official Joomla! Book
- By Joomla! Forums Manager Jennifer Marriott -- the world's #1 expert on what Joomla! users need to know
- Includes practical examples from business, non-profits and education
- Presents expert Q and As with top Joomla! contributors
- Covers everything from installation to usability, templates to extensions
- A key launch title in our new Joomla! Press series
Table of contents
- All About Joomla!
- What Now and Where Do I Begin - Before You Install Joomla!
- Joomla! Installation and Setup
- The Basics of Templates
- The Basics of Extensions, Components, Modules and Plug-ins
- Refining, Developing and Helpful Tips For Your New Website
- Proper Care and Feeding of Your Joomla Website
- Practical Application: Joomla For Business
- Practical Application: Joomla for NGO/Non Profit
- Practical Application: Joomla For Education
- Practical Application: Joomla for Groups, Clubs and Organisations
- Special Sneak Preview of 1.6 : The Future of Joomla
- Appendix I - Common Problems and Solutions
- Appendix II -Resources
- Glossary of Terms
The global leader in education services and technology, Pearson is home to such respected brands as Addison-Wesley Professional, Cisco Press, Exam Cram, IBM Press, Prentice Hall Professional, Que, and Sams Publishing, which have as their online publishing arm, InformIT (www.informit.com) -The Trusted Technology Learning Source. In addition, Berkeley-based Peachpit (www.peachpit.com), the publishing partner for Adobe Press, Apple Certified, and others, publishes best-selling books for creative design professionals. Pearson is also co-founder, with O'Reilly Media Inc., of Safari Books Online, the premier on-demand digital library providing thousands of expert reference materials through a single point of contact, including expert technology, creative and design, business and management resources in video and text formats. Pearson Education is part of Pearson (NYSE: PSO), the international media company. Pearson's other primary businesses include the Financial Times Group and the Penguin Group.