The Virtuemart team has released a new version of their free e-commerce solution for Joomla. It's been a long time since the last version was released - back in January 2009.
Version 1.1.14 of VirtueMart is mostly a bug fix release as far as I can see from the change log. One new feature, however, is the support for PHP 5.3.
The developers say this about the release:
Finally VirtueMart 1.1.4 has been released - a recommended maintenance update, which provides numerous bug fixes for problems discussed in the forum and on our bug tracker (see the changelog for full details).
The change log for VirtueMart 1.1.14 list a lot of bug fixes.
Among the notable problems fixed in VirtueMart 1.1.14 are:
- Support for PHP 5.3
- Fixed Failed to open stream error when product image is missing
- Fixed Bug in Product Type Parameter processing
- Bug in product type flypage path for Joomla 1.5 / VM 1.1.2
- Added Continue Shopping link when cart is empty
- Child product price is shown wrong for users other than default group
- shop.browse - optimize to lower number of DB queries.
- Fixed Notice Undefined variable total in shop.basket_short.php
- Functions not showing in admin
- Updated several language files
- Fixed VAT based on Shipping Address
- PDF Output won't add product image
- Mail contents is broken on OSX server.
- Stock levels not maintained correctly when selling downloadable products.
- Page Title shows wrong in checkout, if uncheck some steps.
- Searching for child products is not possible
These are but some of the problems that where fixed. Check out the change log to see all of the fixes.
Full installation and patch packages for VirtueMart 1.1.4 are available on the download page.
How to upgrade
To update to version 1.1.4, login to your VirtueMart administration area and choose "Check for Updates" from the "Admin" menu, then click the "Check now!" button and follow the instructions there. (Or, you can download the 1.1.4 patch package directly , save it to your local hard drive, and choose to "Upload a Patch Package" from the "Upload a Patch" tab.)
Easy installation of Joomla and VirtueMart
With the release of the new VirtueMart version, the "VirtueMart eCommerce Bundle" has also been updated. This is an easy way to install Joomla! and VirtueMart at the same time - for all those who want to set up a completely new site (or when migrating).
Backup Before You Upgrade!
As always when installing a new version of Joomla or a component, do a full backup of your site and database. I recommend JoomlaPack for this purpose.